by Pamela Tinkham, LCSW, C-IAYT, SEP
Here are some reminders to help take off those unwanted pounds and get ready for beach season!
- Eat small meals.
- Have a healthy snack (fruit, veggie, fat free yogurt, fat free cottage cheese) between breakfast and lunch, and between lunch and dinner.
- Drink 8 glasses of water per day.
- Get some form of exercise every day (everything counts).
- Decrease stress – Stress causes you to hold on to body fat… try meditation or yoga.
- Do something every day that you enjoy… joy helps you stick to your goals.
- Have a mantra (something you say to yourself daily) that is positive such as “I am health”, “I look great”, “I accept myself”.
- Be patient and compassionate with yourself.
- If you fall off track, get right back on.
- If you must have a night snack, try 10 Almonds and stop at 10. Each nut has one gram of fat, and fat stores very quickly.
- Limit the carbohydrates at dinner time, unless you work out after dinner.
- SMILE … research shows that smiling (even forcing it) has physiological benefits which may improve your mood and outlook on life (which will help you stick to your goals of eating healthy and exercising).